The characteristics of the Philippine market can be summarized as follows:
- Rapidly growing economy
- Population of more than 105 mill.
- Limited existing deployment of fixed-line telecom infrastructure
- Large and young population with a high smartphone and social media penetration driving demand for data
- Rapidly growing e-commerce market
- Large archipelago with more than 7,000 islands scattered over a large area limiting the ability for traditional telecom operators to provide telecom services nationwide cost effectively
The 450MHz BTS can reach more than 100 km, making it very suitable for a nation like the Philippines. The Philippines is an archipelago spread across more than 7,100 islands, which makes it expensive to provide coverage with high frequency networks. With a growing population over large distances, Net1 specifically chose this technology, as it enables Net1 to focus on providing 4G LTE service in rural and suburban areas.
Bringing cost-efficient 4G coverage to the Philippines
Net1 delivers cost effective wireless internet access services to consumers and businesses across The Philippines. The company utilizes it 450MHz LTE network to deliver these services in areas where there are no or limited internet access alternatives available. Net1 delivers high speed internet services cost effectively in urban areas through its 3.5GHz network.
Net1 holds a perpetual license to operate on 2x5MHz in the 450MHz frequency band and 20MHz in the 3.5GHz band. The company has started the deployment of its 4G LTE network in 1Q 2017 and is expanding its network from the Luzon area where it is currently present.
Net1 is a partnership between Net1 International and its local partner Citadel Holdings. Citadel Holdings is a large diversified holding company located in The Philippines with interest in among others aviation services, freight management and logistics.